Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

http://sotn.heliohost.org/

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay]

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

Number of posts : 1181
Registration date : 2012-09-16

WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay] Empty
PostSubject: WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay]   WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay] Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2015, 10:08

To me this is the real glitched (save corruption) speed run world record... since the others were replays done
in luck mode (which is technically a special/extra mode). The Black Screen Credits Call is fine for replays,
but for the real world record I feel we got to be able to see those credits... just my opinion cat
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay]   WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay] Icon_minitimeSun 04 Oct 2015, 12:49

I should have wrote this out before posting the video, but here we go.
Why is it important that the Glitched (Save Corruption) Speed Run World Record be Non-Replay, Hmmmmmm scratch

The problem is the use of data from other save files.
So to unlock Replay Mode on Castlevania Symphony of the Night you must have at least 1 previously cleared save file.
Playing on Replay Mode lets you skip cut scenes and even gain some new items like the duplicator... so technically during
Replay Mode you are using data from your previously cleared save file.

I recently discovered that I could setup my 1 previously cleared save file in a way that could give me a advantage on a
Glitched (Save Corruption) Speed Run... so basically all I would have to do on the Replay run is beat Bloodlines (Rondo) Dracula,
and then as soon as Alucard enters through the Castle gate I just open my menu, move some items around and Bingo!
I warp straight to the credits... beating the game in about 3 minutes Shocked

At first I was like, holy shit this is awesome... but then a feeling came over me of that this is not right, this is not what a speed run should be about.

So then someone could say "Well then just don't do that, don't setup data on a previously cleared save file to be an advantage on a
Save Corruption Replay run."

The problem is there is no way of knowing every single way Replay mode effects/modifies the coding during a Save Corruption Replay run...
so I could be giving myself an advantage during Replay mode and not even know it Neutral

After way too much thinking, I came to the conclusion that the only way to prevent this is running Save Corruption runs with
no previous save file... so basically Non-Replay mode.

Last edited by nathan7878 on Thu 14 Jan 2016, 12:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pale-Dim
Amador 3
Amador 3

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay]   WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay] Icon_minitimeMon 05 Oct 2015, 08:29

yeah i can't see it being too much different (have not watched video yet, Just guessing here) your goal is to get to the save room and corrupt the save and reload and then move/create items to activate the end game glitch. I can't see the little bit of time savings of being able to big toss past death being that much saved time.

if your goal is to get to the save room faster would you not maybe try to get into the save room at the entrance? you would have 1 heart refresh that you can maybe find a way..... but maybe you need other items also?
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay]   WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay] Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2015, 07:32

Yeah, I would still need the short sword and a another item... unless a way was found to create items using the save glitch alone.

Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay]   WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay] Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2015, 08:12

I had to void all my other speedruns due to the fact that I discovered that they would have failed on a real PlayStation 1.
I am now using Bizhawk/Mednafen which I now know is the most accurate PS1 emulator http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PS1_Tests
So I now feel confident that this new method will work on a real PS1. I am done with speedrunning... just lost interest, so I just walked on
this run LOL. I will now only be concentrating on TASing and Total Control code injection (AKA programming in another game).
I will make a video showing how to do this run soon, runs should only be performed on Mednafen/Bizhawk.

If you guys are interested in this stuff, I am going to be posting most updates and information here http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396&start=450
Back to top Go down
NITM-T
Veterano 3
Veterano 3
NITM-T

Number of posts : 784
Registration date : 2013-12-08

PostSubject: Re: WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay]   WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay] Icon_minitimeSat 12 Dec 2015, 00:11

Wait a minute, without Backdash? Just kidding Razz
It's been a long time that you do this kind of Speedrun, I like them. Skip all hahaha.
You've finished your job on it, but left things clear and it's good to know that you are with the TAS, I love that videos, I've been following your posts there a few times, maybe one day, we will see a video with you, ForgoneMoose and sockfolder, right! As they did before. But now with your help, will do the least possible time!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCnIn62GVeVaqfHHGBMNqkA
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay]   WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WR Speedrun Any% Alucard Mode (Save Corruption) [Non-Replay]
Page 1 of 1