Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

http://sotn.heliohost.org/

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kainblox
Amador 1
Amador 1

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-03-04

"Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Empty
PostSubject: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jan 2014, 12:30

Hey guys!

Sockfolder has managed to use the "Item Fabrication" glitch to use the Library Card to warp him to the second castle.

It is not currently possible to write precise values into the games code, so warping to Black Marble Gallery/the Dracula fight is likely impossible.

Here's a video of how to do it (in english): http://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder/c/3580272

Unfortunately, i have a very rough understanding of this glitch so i can't really explain it well, but basically:

Every item in the game is in your inventory from the start of the game with a quantity of 0

When you unequip an item, it finds it's slot, moves it to the top of your inventory (above all 0 quantity items) and increases the quantity to 1

By removing that item's slot with save corruption/inventory "flooding", the item runs past the inventory and into the code, overwriting the first value it finds that matches it's item ID.

(because of the ID matching glitch, the above video will fail if:
Your stats equal 9, 15, or 19
You level equals 9, 15, or 19
Your hearts equal 9, 15, or 19
Your filename has a Y or an M
The ingame clock (seconds, hours or minutes seperately) equals 9, 15, or 19
The ingame frame counter at any point equals 9, 15, or 19 (unavoidable, assume the glitch has a 5% chance of randomly failing)

Back to top Go down
paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2007-05-22

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jan 2014, 20:17

I love the libray card trick. Razz  I'm sure that there are lots of things to do and test with all of this. I dont tested yet but what happens if you grab items for enemies and then use/apply them on the trick?

https://castlevania.darkbb.com
Kainblox
Amador 1
Amador 1

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jan 2014, 22:41

Unfortunately, most enemy equips are in your armor, where more setup happens than actual corruption.

I definitely recommend playing with this on your own, it's really hard to properly describe how everything works.

What I did to get a better understanding, was get a save file with 1 of every item (i can give it out if someone wants it), save corrupt it, and then just see what happens when i start swapping things.
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

Number of posts : 1221
Registration date : 2012-09-16

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jan 2014, 02:18

Swap Overflow Shenanigans... now I know what SOS means  lol!

Yeah I am going to get PSXJIN up and working so I can start messing with this... the corruption stuff does not work so well on PCSXR.

Kainblox... can you upload your configured PSXJIN with all the plugins and bios scratch
Back to top Go down
Kainblox
Amador 1
Amador 1

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jan 2014, 06:00

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rf4p4wb543kxfm4/psxjinv2.0.2.rar

That's all my stuff except my memory cards, lemme know if you want those too.
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jan 2014, 17:31

Yeah, can you upload the saved corrupted file with 1 of every weapon, and a regular corrupted file in the library from one of your speed runs  I love you ...
Back to top Go down
Kainblox
Amador 1
Amador 1

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jan 2014, 02:43

In the process of moving, so that might take a little while. I can however get you the memory addresses associated with your inventory quantity values and you can just set them all to one.
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jan 2014, 18:15

No worries, I went ahead and made my own saves.... so I am good.

I am obsessed with this now  Shocked  I have to get to the Programmers room Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jan 2014, 16:46

Well, last night sockfolder with the help of the Swap Overflow Shenanigans Glitch gained Total Control over Castlevania SOTN PSX Coding.

Basically in short, the Total Control Glitch lets some one modify any coding in the game.

This means he can teleport anywhere, finish Whiting Out the PSX map, and pretty much execute any Game Shark code with out the
use of Game Shark Wink

..but most of sockfolder's last night stream on twitch.tv in short terms, was him just writing joker commands into the memory
so he could change coding faster and more accurately while using the Total Control glitch.

At the very end of his stream though, he started to do some teleporting 60:06:30 http://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder/b/498009259

here are some other websites where coders and speed runners are discussing the topic...

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=320

http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/1vmzyl/sockfolder_remixes_symphony_of_the_night_music/
Back to top Go down
paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jan 2014, 22:46

Total contral on sotn? It will never happens!

If you reach a place that there is not the default (with library card glitch) it will load with a glitched pallete?

Let's wait for the debug room and 3rd marble gallery tips.  Razz

nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2014, 16:27

paulo1179 wrote:
Total contral on sotn? It will never happens!
Yeah, "Total Control" is just what they call the glitch, it's just a term that they coined
when some one finds a way to access all the coding of a game with a glitch and modify
it (or basically input Game Shark codes with out Game Shark).

I know it sounds impossible/crazy  lol! but it can happen...

... some how some one found out how to gain "Total Control" on Super Mario World, and once
they did, they could input Game Shark codes with no Game Shark... and they even actual reprogrammed
the game to run PONG and SNAKE  Shocked LOL

paulo1179 wrote:
If you reach a place that there is not the default (with library card glitch) it will load with a glitched pallete?
Some times even if it is a "Default" locatoin with the Exact right coding for the location programmed into the game, like the
Black Marble Galary, when it loads from a library card teleport with the "Total Control" glitch or even with Game Shark the pallet will be glitched.

I am not sure why... but if you exit through a CDLR and come back the pallet with be fixed, so it is not too big of a deal.

paulo1179 wrote:
Let's wait for the debug room and 3rd marble gallery tips.  Razz
 lol! Yeah, did not mean to jump the gun... I just am really excited.

Back to top Go down
jack.w
Veterano 3
Veterano 3
jack.w

Number of posts : 987
Registration date : 2007-11-19

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2014, 16:45

MARIO Pong !!! affraid 
e
Serpent  affraid 
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeFri 07 Feb 2014, 20:03

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm scratch 

sockfolder must be on vacation  lol!

He has not been on any websites in like two weeks.
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeWed 26 Mar 2014, 17:05

Well, I was waiting for Sockfolder to respond on the TAS website http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=340
but it seems he has moved on to glitching a different game for now... which sucks, because he
is the one that really understands how the glitch works because it has so much to do with reading ASM coding.

... but using the teleport technique he used at 06:06:29 of this video http://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder/b/498009259
I was pretty sure he could have used it to get to the Programmers Room,
so I did some testing with Cheat Engine to mimic what he was doing in the video and
found the best way, almost any other way will  cause the game to become unstable and crash No 
Back to top Go down
paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeFri 28 Mar 2014, 22:00

Debug room is a dream of every sotn player, hahaha But i don't like how it looks when you reach it with this way. Okay..it's the only way...but..i still don't like it.

Pale-Dim
Amador 3
Amador 3

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2014, 19:47

it does require save game corruption right?  This seems to be the new way to TAS,  Super metroid is also doing it now too,  and i think zelda 2 was also using it.  Is this not the same as entering the gameshark code?  just using corrupted save file?

have their been any other new area's found?
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitimeSun 30 Mar 2014, 11:46

paulo1179 wrote:
But i don't like how it looks when you reach it with this way. Okay..it's the only way...but..i still don't like it.
I agree, the way that would be the most satisfying to me, would be if there was a way to sink there with Heart Refreshers I love you   

Pale-Dim wrote:
it does require save game corruption right? Is this not the same as entering the gameshark code? have their been any other new area's found?  
Yeah, you have to do the save corruption first, then do the library swapping items glitching stuff (SOS) to mess with the games memory... so that basically gave Sock the ability to enter Game Shark codes into the games memory.

I am like 99% sure that there are no areas that we have not found, I have gone through just about all the coding on PSX and on Saturn when
I was searching for a debug room on Saturn.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration   "Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Item Fabrication"/Swap Overflow Shenanigans elaboration
Page 1 of 1