Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

http://sotn.heliohost.org/

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kainblox
Amador 1
Amador 1

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-03-04

New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Empty
PostSubject: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeFri 04 Oct 2013, 13:59

http://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder/c/3030513

Can also be done with a level-up, and without a backdash to start, as seen here:

http://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder/c/3030464
Back to top Go down
jack.w
Veterano 3
Veterano 3
jack.w

Number of posts : 987
Registration date : 2007-11-19

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeFri 04 Oct 2013, 18:43

esse eu testarei mais tarde com  certeza!Wink 
Back to top Go down
Kainblox
Amador 1
Amador 1

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeFri 04 Oct 2013, 19:35

Just did some of my own testing, seems to act the same way as an extended wall grab.

What it basically does, from what I understand, is unlike a normal Shift line (where the "edge" of the screen is shifted farther from Alucard), it moves the edge of the screen closer to him.

The way the game works, each game is divided into 256 "units". Once Alucard moves 256 units, the room number increments (both horizontally and vertically).
Since all screen transitions are offscreen, Alucard's unit rolls over to 0, positioning him at the door in the next room.

With this trick, he goes through a screen transition at unit 255, 254 or 253, so the game puts him at that unit in the next room.

(all examples assume you're going left to right)
Back to top Go down
paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2007-05-22

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeFri 04 Oct 2013, 21:02

Very good. Seems to be very hard to pull of on a real console and useful on TAS. When you skip the death's room (using this tech) i think that you are able to reach the pause menu too, am I right?

Can you skip karasuman's fight?

https://castlevania.darkbb.com
Kainblox
Amador 1
Amador 1

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeFri 04 Oct 2013, 21:47

It's actually fairly easy to do in real time, thanks to using the map for timing.

I've done both HR and level-up versions in real time several times today, in various places.

Yes Karasuman can be skipped, yes you can access the pause menu immediately after Death.
Back to top Go down
nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

Number of posts : 1221
Registration date : 2012-09-16

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeFri 04 Oct 2013, 21:54

Wonder if this will work on Sega Saturn scratch
Back to top Go down
Kainblox
Amador 1
Amador 1

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeSat 05 Oct 2013, 16:00

Admittedly I didn't test very thoroughly, but it looks like it's not gonna work on Saturn, as far as skipping Death.

Will continue testing.
Back to top Go down
Pale-Dim
Amador 3
Amador 3

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeSat 05 Oct 2013, 21:47

2 things to ask:

1- this works horizontally. is there a way to do this vertically? i would like to attempt to reach ceilings using something like this.

2- using the script that is being used. are you able to create shiftlines in single block rooms? so we can skim the edge to get to a ceiling?

Back to top Go down
paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeSat 05 Oct 2013, 21:49

Who discovered it?? You??

Kainblox
Amador 1
Amador 1

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeSun 06 Oct 2013, 02:19

As far as I know, there is no method of doing this vertically. (can normal shift lines be done vertically?)

It also still requires the camera to be able to move, so it does not work in single block rooms.

This trick was discovered by Sockfolder, a well-known figure in the speedrunning community.
He learned about shift lines the other day and decided to see what would happen if you did it backwards.
(his videos are the ones I linked)
Back to top Go down
jack.w
Veterano 3
Veterano 3
jack.w

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeSun 06 Oct 2013, 04:56

affraid 
muito bom!
incrível como funciona!
incrível como é fácil! cheers

(testei em lugares variados, funcionou em todos)
Back to top Go down
paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeSun 06 Oct 2013, 16:00

Kainblox wrote:
As far as I know, there is no method of doing this vertically. (can normal shift lines be done vertically?)

This trick was discovered by Sockfolder
No. There is no tech to do shift lines vertically. Except: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OmV0XflsUI

I put my hat off to this finding. Great tech. Razz 

Pale-Dim
Amador 3
Amador 3

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeSun 06 Oct 2013, 17:04

There has been no tech to create a vertical shiftline. There are some present in the game on both psx and saturn versions. First extra room i ever found used one of these. They are abundant in the keep and chapel for the most part.
Back to top Go down
paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeSun 06 Oct 2013, 23:03

Pale-Dim wrote:
There has been no tech to create a vertical shiftline.  There are some present in the game on both psx and saturn versions.First extra room i ever found used one of these.  They are abundant in the keep and chapel for the most part.
There is one on Castle keep, but it works from external area only (not useful). I don't know any room on Chapel that you can do this tech, can you tell me where they are? Where is that "first extra room you ever found using one of these"? I asked on WBW about this when I founded and the only answer was that room on Keep (richard). The only useful place on psx is on Catacombs (it's showed on my movie). Razz

Pale-Dim
Amador 3
Amador 3

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeMon 07 Oct 2013, 00:07

check the timeline on wbw

http://worldbeyondwalls.yuku.com/topic/6/Symphony-of-the-Night-Glitching-Timeline

after you sword brothers glitch out of the IC spot the top of the wall can be moved above using bat and there is a line there to go to the confession room.

This was my first room found
Back to top Go down
paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeTue 08 Oct 2013, 20:45

Thanks Pale!

paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeTue 08 Oct 2013, 20:46

from ForgoneMoose:

nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Oct 2013, 15:45

From romscot:

Back to top Go down
jack.w
Veterano 3
Veterano 3
jack.w

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Oct 2013, 17:44

hahaha
agora sim a coisa vai pra frente, um elevador inútil ganhou utilidade.
Back to top Go down
paulo1179
Administrador
Administrador

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Oct 2013, 20:46

nathan7878 wrote:
From romscot:

Very well thinked.

I did some tests on saturn version. Nothing worked. Mad

nathan7878
Elite
Elite
nathan7878

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Oct 2013, 21:45

another 3 from romscout:

Well this one is a forward shift...but still cool.

Can't wait to see all these in a fluid speed run cyclops
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)   New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New trick: reverse shift line (1 HR death skip, no level up)
Page 1 of 1